Saturday, November 8, 2008

Mysteries of Massage




I've been working as an intern in the clinic at Crystal Mountain for over a month now. In that short time I have already encountered several mysteries that can only be pondered, not solved.

  • Concepts that can seem like abstractions in other settings, such as "being grounded" and "present in the moment," are very real in massage. I have discovered again and again that the person on the table can tell immediately if I start to drift. This is amazing, because I have been working on these two qualities for years without getting this kind of immediate "bio-feedback". The implications for my growth are momentous.
  • "Energy" is real. "Intention" is real. Once again, people can feel the difference and will comment.
  • Every human being is unique. More than that, no human being is the same two days in a row. This becomes very apparent when you try to give the same massage to two different people, or give the same massage to the same person twice. This is why being "present in the moment" and "listening with your hands" are so important.
  • I can't fix anything. If something changes for the better, it was a collaboration between me and the client (and perhaps a higher intelligence.)
  • Our bodies have a life of their own. Literally, they are comprised of trillions of micro-organisms, each with a complete set of DNA and a unique destiny. We try to impose our will on our bodies but our bodies can cooperate or not. Sometimes we have to coax our body into relaxing or healing. In the end, the body will do what it will do.

Before you think I'm some sort of guru, realize that I was taught all of these facts in class. But in clinic, I have rediscovered them for myself -- and been amazed.

Note: Student massages at Crystal Mountain are $28 for 1 hour. I need about 100 more massages to finish my internship, so please call 872-2030 to make an appointment with me!

No comments: